What to do when you find injured wildlife? 2018-02-13T18:33:06+00:00

Wildlife in Need?

Piedmont Wildlife Center does NOT rescue wildlife. 
For a variety of reasons, Piedmont Wildlife Center has decided to discontinue our WildNet Hotline service. Our hotline has served the Triangle since 2011 as a service that helped connect the public to rehabilitators when they found injured or orphaned wildlife. In 2017, The Wildlife Resources Commission created a hotline with the same mission. As the agency involved in permitting rehabilitators, we feel the hotline should fall under their scope of work.

We will happily answer questions on our main business line, but will no longer be providing an after-hours and weekend answering service. There are resources on our website to connect the public directly to rehabilitators. For callers outside of the Triangle, a google search can generally connect them to an appropriate rescue or rehabilitator.

For wildlife questions or to get a referral to a licensed rehabilatator in your area,

You can E-mail or Call the Wildlife Resources Commission at:
Email: wildlifehelpline@ncwildlife.org

For help on weekends visit their website at www.ncwildlife.org/injuredwildlife


  • Do NOT give it any food or water.
  • Place it in a well ventilated box lined with a t-shirt or non-frayed towel.
  • Place a heating pad under one half of the box on a low setting for small mammals or reptiles. Do NOT give extra heat to birds.
  • Isolate the box away from pets and children in a warm, quiet area. Do not keep wild birds in wire cages as they may cause further injury to themselves.


  • If the animal is obviously injured, find a rehabilitator in your area (see below) or call the numbers above.
  • Only licensed rehabilitators should attempt wildlife care. This is not the time to try your hand at something new.  Even animals that appear to be thriving can be suffering from problems that will affect its health and chances of survival in the wild.

Wildlife Rehabilitator Contacts:

  • NC Wildlife Resources Commission maintains a list of rehabilitators for North Carolina, by county.
  • CLAWS rehabilitates most wildlife and is located in Orange County and services the Triangle area.  They are the only rehabilitators currently taking songbirds in the Triangle. Leave a message and be patient as they will return your call. 919-619-0776
  • American Wildlife Refuge rehabilitates raptors in Wake county.  919-229-8449
  • NCSU Turtle Team has a team of vet teachers and students for turtles (and other reptiles).  Make sure you leave a message and they will get back to you quickly!  919-397-9675

Make a specific animal comfortable and safe

For further instructions or on how to make a specific animal comfortable and safe
until you have turned it over to a rehabilitator, click below.

Follow these flowcharts, if you are not sure what to do:

Help! I Found a Baby Bird!
Help! I Found a Baby Mammal!

PWC is an advocate of Cats Indoors. They make your cat a healthier, safer indoor pet.

Visit their website