The contest has ended, winners will be announced SOON!
Piedmont Wildlife Center is accepting submissions for our second annual Nature Writing Contest celebrating the natural landscape and the species of the Piedmont.
Submissions will be evaluated on the following guidelines:
- Clarity of prose; writing flows well, is memorable and cohesive
- Writing evokes a strong sense of place and connection to nature
- Accuracy of information and understanding of the natural landscape of the Piedmont
- Inspirational focus and theme
The writing may focus on an individual species, an environment, a personal experience or a statement of environmental philosophy. It must be a work of reflective nonfiction or poetic prose focused on some element of nature with the Piedmont bioregion as its backdrop.
Categories and prizes
|Children’s Division||Teen Division||Adult Division|
|Up to age 12||Ages 13-18||Ages 19 and up|
|500 word maximum||800 word maximum||1000 word maximum|
|$25 prize||$50 prize||$100 prize|
|$2 entry fee||$4 entry fee||$10 entry fee|
The top essays will be posted on our website and social media networks.
Rules for entry
- Create a title page with the following information: The title of your piece, your name, age, email address, and phone number, a small photograph of the author and a brief (2-3 sentence) bio of the author.
- All entries must be original, nonfiction, written by the author.
- The top five winning authors’ essays, bios, and pictures will be used for web publication.
- One title page must be submitted per entry, you can enter as many times as you like but an additional entry fee is required for each entry.
- Winners will retain all rights.
- Entries will be accepted from now through October 31st, 2012
Entry fees can be paid via paypal. If you have encounter problems via PayPal, call us for other payment options.
Send submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org